HOW2 teach successfully online
The teaching profession has been magnificent in its response to Covid. But adapting to online teaching is tough. Student engagement is tricky to maintain and teacher workloads have increased enormously. This training is aimed at helping your reduce that online workload.
Please ensure that you have activated your teachinghow2s account.
If you have not received an invitation check your spam folder or failing that contact your organisation’s HOW2 lead — probably the colleague that emailed you about this training.
Introduction Today revolves around just 6HOW2 teaching techniques:
Entry Routines (online version)
Feedback and Assessment with e‑textbooks
GOs as Advanced Organisers
iTransform (online version)
Pilot and Navigator (with tips on using HOW2s)
Think Pair Share with e‑textbooks
These 6HOW2 teaching techniques have been chosen because they:
• rapidly develop online teaching confidence • promote online pedagogical knowledge and skills • see you getting maximum reward for minimum effort • see students working meaningfully and independently of you • can be used online and in the classroom • ensure learning checks are taking place regularly • can be used as part of planning • ‘work’ with any age group in all curriculum areas
Using just six HOW2s also makes it easier to get everyone working together on the same thing, which is, we think, particularly important at this time.
If you have already activated your HOW2 account, you will find these 6 techniques here on the app.
Overview of Session 1
In Session 1, you will have time to:
1. explore 6HOW2 teaching techniques
2. decide which ones to consider adding to your practice
3. narrow down your focus by choosing one(s) to work on
4. make notes on adapting this HOW2(s) as part of your teaching
5. use the app’s Skills Exchange to capture and share your learning
The video below will take you through 1 – 5
Be ready to share your learning in Session 2
Watch the video to get started on Session 1
Overview of Session 2
In Session 2, you will have time in a X‑faculty/departmental group to:
1. (one of you) use the app’s group feature to create a group (to make it easier for you all to “chat” online and share notes with each other)
2. share your learning from Session 1
3. contribute to your colleagues as they share their learning from Session 1 with you
4. review your notes on how you would adapt your chosen HOW2(s) to use as part of your teaching
The video below will take you through 1 – 4
Watch the video to get started on Session 2
Overview of Session 3
In Session 3, you will have time in a faculty/departmental group to:
1. share your learning from Session 2
2. consider further emerging ideas that may benefit the faculty
The video below will take you through 1 – 2
Watch the video to get started on Session 3
A very polite reminder about copyright
Take a tour of the HOW2 platform with our very own HOW2 guru Damian.